Friday, December 9, 2011

Enthralled with Jell-O (and other retro recipes) - Boston.com

The writer throws a mid-century party with foods of the era

December 07, 2011|By Christopher Muther, Globe Staff

It was the “Joys of Jell-O’’ that provided the final necessary shove. I could no longer resist the charms of dishes called Apple Tuna Mold, Banana Fluff, or the Broken Window Glass Cake (more humbly known as Crown Jewel Dessert). These were recipes that cried out to be made and served on my beloved 1966 platter - the one dotted with sputnik-style asterisks.

I had often toyed with the idea of throwing a dinner party made up entirely of recipes from the 1950s and ’60s. Mid-century cookbooks with titles such as “The Fine Art of Fondue, Chinese Wok, and Chafing Dish Cooking’’ were occupying a growing portion of my shelves. But when I saw the Jell-O cookbook, which is akin to a 100-page advertisement for the psychedelic wonders of gelatin, I knew I could no longer keep to myself the idea of creating a recipe-fueled time machine dinner party. I needed to invite others into the world of high camp cuisine.




Enthralled with Jell-O (and other retro recipes) - Boston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment