Thursday, June 30, 2011

Only Yesterday...

 I thought I'd share with you the reason for my writing this blog......


Way back in High School, I took an elective in Sociology. In it, we were to read  passages from Frederick Lewis Allen's Only Yesterday: an Informal History of the 1920s.  What struck me most was the opening passage, where we read a description of daily life from 1919.. The details of how people dressed, fed themselves, how their homes were furnished... And how all these details would transform in the following 11years.

A few years later, I read Alvin Toffler's The Third Wave, which described how our culture would be altered by technology. Since then, I've read Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat  , which basically affirmed that Toffler's predictions came true.


I've been reading a great deal about the history behind today's technology, but there is something I feel is lacking.. That sense of the human connection, what it all means to us everyday. I'm hoping to partially redress that omission with this chronicle...

No comments:

Post a Comment